• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Piracetam and seizures

Tranced

Bluelight Crew
I've read a little something about Piracetam being good at preventing seizures. I used to take Piracetam for cognitive enhancement a few years ago, but since that time have had 3 seizures (not while using piracetam).

Now I don't know if I've got epilepsy per se, I actually attribute my seizures to a small bout of xanax abuse, however, I think that it's safe to assume that I may be more prone to seizures than your average person.

Does anybody know how safe or dangerous Piracetam may be for people in this position? Is it known to (or could it be expected to) make my seizure threshold unstable in the same way that benzo's do? Would you need to taper off if stopping use, or does it act in a different way to most epilepsy medication?

Personal experiences/expectations based on the pharmacology of the drug very much welcome. I'd really really like to start using Piracetam again.

And please, no 'go and see your doctor' comments - I will, but I'd like some discussion here too - and fully expect an 'I don't know but it's not worth the risk' type reply when I do so.

Thanks.

Last edited:
how can anyone say anything about whether or not piracetam will help with your seizures? we have no idea why you are having them. there are many different causes for seizures.

go get an EEG.

Go see a doctor. We can't diagnose the source of your seizures here. It could be Xanax withdrawal, or it could be a brain tumour. Ted Kennedy's brain tumour was diagnosed when he began having sudden unexplained seizures. The important thing is you figure out why it is you're having them.

Whatever the case, you'll probably need more than piracetam to reduce their incidence.

--> hl

^Agreed, you DEFINITELY need to see a physician. Why you didn't when you had your FIRST seizure is beyond me, much less three of them.

You could have some kind of tumor (benign or otherwise) or some kind of seizure disorder like epilepsy. Any way you cut it, you NEED to get diagnosed medically.

Onmyway: I did not ask whether piracetam would help me with my seizures. I did not ask you why I am having them. I've had an EEG.

Nike: I did not ask you to diagnose the source of my seizures (I specified the source in my first post) nor was I planning on using piracetam to reduce them.

Dokomo: I have been diagnosed/assessed medically. Numerous times.

A big thanks to all of you for concocting a set of strange responses with no relevance to my original post whatsoever.

Onmyway: I did not ask whether piracetam would help me with my seizures. I did not ask you why I am having them. I've had an EEG.

Nike: I did not ask you to diagnose the source of my seizures (I specified the source in my first post) nor was I planning on using piracetam to reduce them.

Dokomo: I have been diagnosed/assessed medically. Numerous times.

A big thanks to all of you for concocting a set of strange responses with no relevance to my original post whatsoever.

It always amazes me that people react like then when they post their question in a public forum. You're going to get people's opinions, and if that is somehow disturbing to you, don't ask for them.

All of our posts were relevant to your original post, you didn't simply say "Is piracetam dangerous for someone who is prone to seizures?" did you? No, you gave all sorts of unclear background and then balk when people post responses that refer to what you said. You're being unnecessarily rude to people who spend their own time trying to help you.

The fact is, the source of a seizure is critical when determining whether something could raise or lower your risk of seizure.

And here is my "relevant" response to your original post: Ask a doctor or other medical professional.

It always amazes me that people react like then when they post their question in a public forum. You're going to get people's opinions, and if that is somehow disturbing to you, don't ask for them.

All of our posts were relevant to your original post, you didn't simply say "Is piracetam dangerous for someone who is prone to seizures?" did you? No, you gave all sorts of unclear background and then balk when people post responses that refer to what you said. You're being unnecessarily rude to people who spend their own time trying to help you.

The fact is, the source of a seizure is critical when determining whether something could raise or lower your risk of seizure.

And here is my "relevant" response to your original post: Ask a doctor or other medical professional.

It amazes me that three people could completely misinterpret a post like that. All of the information that was required (such as the source of the seizures...) was included in the first post.

All of our posts were relevant to your original post, you didn't simply say "Is piracetam dangerous for someone who is prone to seizures?" did you?

No, I agree. It was worded slightly differently to that. I said 'Does anybody know how safe or dangerous Piracetam may be for people in this position?

'Is it known to (or could it be expected to) make my seizure threshold unstable in the same way that benzo's do?'

And 'Would you need to taper off if stopping use, or does it act in a different way to most epilepsy medication?'

I did not ask you to be a jumped up little cunt and make brash assumptions. I was not being unnecessarily rude. I was responding to unnecessarily rude responses. Then again, I suppose when the first wolf bites...

And here is my relevant response to that. Fuck off.

Last edited:
I say this with no intentions of stirring things up:

Look, if you open yourself up to other people in a public forum, you've got to expect all kinds of responses, both good and bad; things you agree with and things you don't. Remember that these people took time out of their day to respond to your post and none of them were rude to you to begin with. If you believe they didn't read your post efficiently, that's fine. Perhaps they didn't interpret it properly or missed something but really, what's the big deal in that? Recognize the fact that they made a mistake and even mention it in a post, but do it like a mature person would without name calling and heated responses. I'm not sure how someone can get upset to the point of calling a stranger a "cunt" for trying to help but I'll assume it's a big misunderstanding... I hope.

Back on topic...

If you go to pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ ---- A great website for looking at the abstracts of medical research journals) and do a search on "piracetam" and "seizures", a lot of stuff comes up about leviracetam. Maybe see how much it would be to be treated with that, or have you been treated with it before (although it looks like there may be some adverse results)

It also looks like in mice, piracetam reduces seizure suceptibility caused by alcohol consumption.

Personally, I don't think it will be dangerous to take a piracetam regimen, as long as you start small, don't do the "attack dose" method.